Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Stepping into the world of a plant based diet.

So it's been about two weeks, since I said goodbye to meat.  It's been interesting.  I've had to learn how to cook all new meals.  Now I wouldn't say I'm a gourmet cook, but I can cook and now I'm learning to adapt old favorites into meatless favorites.  If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook you may have seen some of my food pictures.

I've become totally passionate about this new way of life.  I've been reading websites, blogs, searching recipes and reading books.  My current favorite is The Engine 2 Diet, and blog. The author Rip Esselstyn a Texas Firefighter is the son of one of Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. one of the doctors who brings us the video and cookbook Forks over Knives. Then their is my juicing website that started it all from the movie Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.  I love the way the simply share the information, and explain the health differences in eating a plant strong diet, vs the way America eats.  It makes me think of so many people who are suffering with chronic illness, cancer, and so many other problems that the diet we all consumed have either caused or contributed too.  I just want to share it with everyone.

So what have I've been cooking.  Well all kinds of things.  Since I'm gluten intolerant I can't use the whole wheat things, so that adds an extra challenge to some things.  So I've made pizza with polenta as the crust, and a portabella mushroom as a burger and a pizza crust.  Both yummy.

I've altered a few recipes from Skinny Taste website (another favorite website) that already has great Vegan and Gluten Free recipes.  I took her recipe for Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini, and altered into a vegan recipe.  It turned out really good.  I substituted the chicken filling for her Arroz Congri (Cuban Rice and Black Beans) and added the zucchini insides in the rice.  Next up I'm going to try making her Spicy Black Bean Burgers, just have to figure out how to substitute the eggs.  It's something new all the time.

I love cooking and juicing.  So here is sample of my daily diets.
Breakfast:  Oatmeal with fruit and Almond Milk and a juice made of carrots, apples, celery, beets, and a lemon.

Lunch:  (yesterday example) Portabella Mushroom pizza.  Mushroom for the crust, pizza sauce and veggies topping it off.

Dinner: sautéed grape tomatoes, carrots, green beans, bell-pepper, and onions, on top of Quina. And a juiced green lemonade.  Kale, lemon, apple, cucumber, celery and a bit of ginger.

Dessert: was frozen banana, strawberries, and pineapple all blended together in my food processor with a bit of Almond milk and vanilla.  It's like frozen yogurt but no added sugar, and it's so good.  I take the left over and put it in Dixie cups with Popsicle sticks and they make great frozen fruit treats.

Snacks: varies, nuts, cocoa and gogi berry bars,  fruit, cut up veggies and raw revolution bars.

Also I drink at least a liter of water a day and some herb teas.

So see it's not so bad.  But the best part is I feel better, and other people can see the difference.  I've lost 8 pounds without even trying.  People are telling me how good I look.  My skin looks better, my hair is looking better.  I now walk through the grocery store untempted.  I know what effect that Stoffer's Lasagna is going to do to me, or that I'll feel sick if I eat bacon and eggs things I use to love so much.

Are there things I miss of course.  Who doesn't love pizza, and burgers.  Going to the Giant's game I won't eat my hot dog however I will partake in the Garlic Fries, even though the grease will make my stomach feel yucky.  And if I do slip off the wagon, I'll just hop back on.  It's okay, I'll probably feel the effects right away.

So yes it's a challenge, eating out is very difficult, but possible.  I've had more people tell me they could never give up their meat of choice.  But for me it's all worth it.  I don't feel sick all the time, I don't need a nap when I come home for lunch two things I thought were just how I had to live feeling that way for the rest of my life.   Now I know I don't have to I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Check in with you all later.

Carol


No comments: