Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pressing Toward the Goal

Philippians 3:12-14 New Living Translation (NLT)

12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it,[a] but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.

This verse gives me so much hope, in knowing that I don't have to worry about all my past mistakes, or even the future ones that I no doubt will make. That I don't have to be perfect for God to love me, that perfection in my life on earth is not attainable. God loved me when I couldn't love myself, he took me into his arms when I was covered in the filth of Sin and washed me clean, and said I've got a better life for you if you are ready to give me your old one, I'll give you a new one. God is changing me and molding me into the person He has designed me. Some of that process is joyful, much of it is difficult, but always in the end of the trial or experience I have found joy and a deeper relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Learning not to look back at your past and recall shame and pain is difficult for everyone. Sometimes I think I've gotten through something, I'm done with it, then I realize that I'm back in the thick of the memories of the pain. Or when people bring up your past mistakes, even if it's not meant to be hurtful, I have to remind myself that it's gone it's done, and God has wiped it away, and try not to push the rewind button and play the live in the past game. That's when it's time to recall what Paul says here. Time to give it back to God and look forward toward the life the Lord has for me.

May you look forward to the life the Lord has for you, and not back at the past mistakes made.

No comments: